Checking out a Gym
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Women Only Gyms and other Womens Fitness topics.
Is there any way to check out a fitness center before joining?
You may want to visit a gym before signing up -- it can be the best way to tell if it is the right place for you. There are many ways to go about this, but here are a few ideas you can use to get inside and see things for yourself:
- Visit the club with a friend. Many health clubs offer free passes to members so that they can bring a friend to the facility periodically.
- Get a day pass. See if the gym will allow you to use the facility for a day or pay a small fee to try out the equipment. You may need to sign a waiver to do so.
- Try out a class. Some health clubs will allow non-members to take exercise classes or sample circuit training there for a per class fee. If you can take advantage of this, it is a great way to get a feel for the gym and see if you like it.
- Consider a trial membership. Some gyms will offer summer only memberships or have trial memberships for potential customers. It doesn't hurt to check.
- Ask for a tour. Most gyms will give you a basic tour of their facility at no cost.
- Ask around. If you are not able to get inside the gym for a look, ask others for information on the place. Be sure to include specific questions on anything you are particularly curious about.
Seeing a health club with your own eyes can be a great way to know if it will work for your needs. Since getting a membership is really an investment, it pays to know what you are buying ahead of time.