Rev it Up: Burning More Calories While Walking
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Fitness Walking and other Womens Fitness topics.
How can I burn more calories while walking?
Since walking is considered a low intensity workout, if you are interested in weight loss, you might need to do a few things to rev up the intensity. Here are some ideas.
- Pick up the Speed: Do the math. If you walk faster, you will burn more calories per minute.
- Try some Intervals: If you are not quite ready for speed walking, you can practice speeding up for three-minute intervals dispersed throughout your workout.
- Go climb a hill: Walking up hills burns more calories than walking on the flat surfaces. It works wonder on toning your gluteals muscles.
- Take a Hike: At altitudes over 5,000 feet, your body will burn about 30 calories more per hour. Also, the physical challenges involved in hiking will burn a few extra calories.
- Get a set of hiking poles: Walking poles such as Leki or Nordic Walker have been shown to increase caloric expenditure.
- Wear Comfortable Shoes: Shoes that don't quite fit right can cause you to walk more slowly, which will in turn burn less calories.
- Wear Appropriate Clothing: Your walking clothing should allow you to move freely, thereby making movements that are big enough to burn sufficient calories.
- Take Bigger Strides: Larger strides use more muscle groups, and therefore burn more calories.
- Use Your Upper Body: Once again, the more muscles you use, the more calories you will burn.
If you have been inactive for a significant period of time, some of these measures may be too challenging. In that case, try to increase the duration of your walking workout.