Benefits of a Beginner Weight Training Program for Women
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Beginner Fitness and other Womens Fitness topics.
What are the benefits of weight training?
There are many reasons why women should become involved in a weight training program. Here are just a few:
- Weight training will improve your muscle tone.
- Weight training will correct muscular imbalances, which will in turn improve your posture and prevent injuries.
- Weight training can prevent muscle loss. Women who do not strength train will lose between five to seven pounds of muscle every decade.
- Weight training can increase your metabolic rate. Adding three pounds of muscle will increase your resting metabolic rate by seven percent. The average woman experiences a two to five percent reduction in metabolic rate every decade. Weight training can compensate for that loss.
- Weight training will increase your bone mineral density. Research shows that four months of strength training can result in significant increases in bone mineral density. Since women lose bone density as we go through menopause, this is an important benefit. Because of the increase of bone mineral density, weight training helps protect against fractures, “shrinking” and osteoporosis.
- Weight training will improve your glucose metabolism. Poor glucose metabolism has been associated with adult onset diabetes. Researchers have discovered a 23 percent increase in glucose uptake after four-month program of strength training.
When embarking on a beginner weight training program, you will want to engage the services of a certified fitness professional. If you can't afford to go to a gym, there are a number of beginner exercises DVDs that focus on weight training. A set of light weights can be found at relatively low prices at places such as Wal-Mart's, Target, or Marshall's.