Healthy Strategies For Eating Out
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Women's Nutrition and other Womens Fitness topics.
What are some healthy strategies for eating out?
Eating out can be a lot of fun, but it can also mean large portion sizes and unhealthy menu items. There are some things you can do that will keep you on your diet plan. Choose from some of the following strategies and you can still enjoy your dining experience while eating healthy:
- Select a healthy menu item. Some restaurants point out healthy recipes for customers, but if not you can always opt for a salad with low calorie dressing. Lean meats that are broiled and served with vegetables are another good choice.
- Plan ahead. Have a small, healthy snack before you go so you are not starving when you arrive.
- Check the menu out on the Internet if you can and decide what you are having before you go.
- Ask for a “to go” container and box up half the meal before you begin eating. Most restaurant servings are very large, so you can have your leftovers the next day.
- Share a meal with a friend instead of eating it yourself. This is a good strategy for desserts as well.
- Be careful at the salad bar. While it can be a healthy choice, make sure you don't add a lot of high calorie extras, such as cheese, olives and heavy, creamy dressings.
- Pass on beverages and just have water. Save the calories for the meal.
- Ask for low fat preparations, such as egg white omelets.
- Subtract the cheese, bacon, mayonnaise and other high fat items from sandwiches.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.